Skip to main content

Palace allegedly behind critical fan page's closure

A Facebook fan page with over two million fans that contained critical comments of the Aquino administration was summarily taken down by Facebook recently, allegedly on the initiative of the President's staff.



Meanwhile, the recently established official Aquino fan page has received a sudden and as yet unexplained infusion of fans, fueling suspicions that the closed Fanpage's fans were transferred without their consent.



GMANews.TV even reported earlier this year that Aquino was the third most-liked politician on Facebook worldwide because of the large fan base of the BSA3 page.




According to California-based computer professional, Ben Totanes, he and fellow online volunteer Betty Abrantes set up the BSA3 fan page (at the now-defunct URLhttp://www.facebook.com/noynoy.aquino) in 2009 shortly after the demise of former president Cory Aquino. The page was initially meant to show support for the presidential bid of her son, Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III, in the upcoming nationwide elections in 2010.



"Hindi pa ina-announce ni Noynoy ang kanyang pagtakbo, na-itayo ko na ang (BSA3 Fanpage). Siguro, mga dalawang linggo bago sinabi ni Noynoy na tatakbo siya bilang presidente, mayroon nang 25,000 fans ang BSA3 dahil sa aming mga advertising at marketing," he said in a blog post.



(Noynoy hadn't even announced his presidential bid yet when I set up the BSA3 fan page. Even about two weeks before Noynoy made his announcement, the fan page had already amassed 25,000 fans because of our advertising and marketing efforts)



Abrantes is a Los Angeles-based graphic designer.



Totanes said that he and Abrantes were contacted in October 2009 by Vicente Romano III, the head of Aquino's New Media Bureau at the time, to ask if they could lend their support to the Aquino campaign.



According to Totanes, the BSA3 fan page was subsequently adopted as Aquino's official campaign page, with some 80,000 Fans at the time. Following Aquino's triumph at the polls, the number of Fans steadily grew to 2.2 million as of November this year, Totanes said.



However, after the election, Romano allegedly recommended that the fan page be shut down. Instead, Totanes and Abrantes offered to turn over administration of the page to the newly formed Presidential Communications Group under Sec. Herminio Coloma on the condition that comments critical of the administration would not be removed.



"Sinabi ko sa kanila na pwede pa rin nila gamitin ito, nguni’t dapat pamalagiin itong 'Feedback Forum' ng sambayanang Pilipino, at huwag tatanggalin ang mga comments —pro or anti— ng mga tao," he said.



(I told them that they can still use the fan page, as long as it's maintained as a venue for feedback from the Filipino people. No comments must be removed, be they negative or positive.)



Coloma allegedly disagreed with Totanes' conditions, and decided to set up a new official fan page, PresidentNoy, in August this year.



On November 9, Totanes received an email directly from Facebook administrators saying that the BSA3 fan page "has been removed for violating (Facebook's) Terms of Use."



"Among other things, Pages that are hateful, threatening, or obscene are not allowed. We also take down Pages that attack an individual or group, or that are set up by an unauthorized individual. If your Page was removed for any of the above reasons, it will not be reinstated," Facebook administrators told Totanes.



Meanwhile, the number of fans of the PresidentNoy fan page jumped from around 100,000 on November 8 to almost 1.6 million just two days later, according toAllFacebook statistics.



Totanes directly accused the Aquino administration of instigating the closure of the BSA3 fan page.



"Hindi lang basta-basta kikilos ang Facebook upang isara ang isang Facebook Page. Kailangan ng opisyal na dokumento o request bago ito mangyari, at kailangan ito i-authenticate. Batay sa aking mga narinig galing sa ibang kaibigan na naging kasama namin sa kampanya at may alam sa nangyayari sa Malacañang, ang BSA3 ay ini-utos ipasara ng Communications Team ni (Aquino), at karamihan ng member nito, ini request sa Facebook na ipa-lipat sa 'Official' Facebook Page ng wala nilang pahintulot," he said.



(Facebook doesn't just close down a Page without an official and authenticated request. Based on what I heard from our friends in the campaign and people in the know in Malacañang, the Communications Team ordered the BSA3 fan page to be taken down. They also requested Facebook to transfer most of the Page's members to the new 'Official' Page without their consent).



"Whoever caused this are likely upset at the anti-PNoy tirades (on the BSA3 fan page)," wrote another Noynoy campaign volunteer, Marian Pastor Roces, in a note on Facebook. "And it is true that trolls are wildly abroad in BSA3. In my view, however, shutting down the site is no answer to trolls. Especially because BSA3 is a forum of surprising size and reach—therefore an ideal 'space' for democratic debate and feedback."



In a text message to GMANews.TV, Coloma said that his office will issue an official statement on the issue later today.
 GMANews.TV has verified Totanes' identity and role in the campaign through other volunteers. - HS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

24 Oras and i-Witness nominated in 2013 Emmy Awards

24 Oras and i-Witness of GMA Network is nominated in 2013 Emmy Awards. GMA's "I-Witness - Alkansiya" (Piggy Bank), about a boy in remote Eastern Samar who earns a measly living catching fish, collecting seashells and diving for sea cucumbers, were nominated in the Current Affairs Category. It will compete with "Banaz: An Honour Killing" (Britain), "Jornal Nacional" (Brazil) and "ZDFzoom - The Fukushima Lie" (Germany) . Meanwhile in the News Category, GMA-7's daily newscast "24 Oras" (24 Hours) reports on Typhoon Pablo will compete against Brazilian TV Globo's "Jornal Nacional" for its coverage of the deadly January 2012 collapse of three buildings in downtown Rio de Janeiro, Romania's "ProTV News" for its reports on a massive snowstorm that buried the country and Britain's Channel 4 News for its broadcasts on the battle for the Syrian city of Homs where Sunday Times reporter Marie Co...

AlDub leads KathNiel on 2015 Most Popular Love Team

AlDub fever continues as the ALDub Love Team of Alden Richards and Yaya Dub leads the 2015 Most Popular Love Team- Netizens Choice. ALDUB GOT 74.58% OF THE TOTAL NETIZENS VOTES. LIZQUEN  OF LIZA SOBERANO AND ENRIQUE GIL IS AT NO. 2 with 14.7% while Pangako sa 'Yo Lead stars KathNiel is at No. 3 with 5.1% of the total votes. You can still vote for your favorite 2015 Love Team of the Year, please click HERE" Sabi ni @aldenrichards02 : I won't give up on us! @mainedcm @EatBulaga @officialaldub16 #AlDubDONTGIVEUP pic.twitter.com/pCV56diB4n — 오하니 (@itsmeLanfeL) August 7, 2015

Idol Sa Kusina Episode August 7, 2011

Watch Idol sa Kusina- August 7, 2011 Episode, with' La Diva' meets 'Idol sa Kusina'. video and photo credit:idolsakusina Watch Idol sa Kusina on GMANews with Chef Boy Logro. Practical tips and special techniques in cooking taught with a dose of humor and a sprinkling of lessons in life. IDOL SA KUSINA has all the right ingredients for a show that's both informative and highly entertaining. Host Master Chef Pablo “Boy” Logro and his celebrity guests will have viewers savoring sumptuous dishes and learning how to create these themselves. Recently seen as the head judge of GMA 7’s Kitchen Superstar, Chef Boy Logro is a master chef in Oriental, Mediterranean and Western cuisine. He finished international culinary training in Italy, Switzerland, Spain, United Kingdom, Turkey, Singapore and Japan. Expand your culinary horizon with IDOL SA KUSINA every Sunday, 7 pm. Idol sa Kusina premiered on July 3.

Lego World in Kapuso Mo Jessia Soho

Those who are young at hearts and likes to play specially lego. Watch Kapuso Mo Jessica Soho this Saturday, October 8. Kamakailan lang, tampok sa isang exhibit ang mapa ng Pilipinas na gawa sa Lego! Noon hanggang ngayon, patok na patok pa rin ang mga construction toys na ito. Taong 2006 pa nang nagsimulang mangulekta ng mga lego si Gab. Ang ultimate dream daw nya, makapagtayo ng Lego Land dito mismo sa Pilipinas! Video Replay embed from Youtube:

Para sa Hopeless Romantic The Movie Trailer

Watch Para sa Hopeless Romantic Movie Trailer. The best-selling novelist, Marcelo Santos III, with Nicko and Becka. Para Sa Hopeless Romantic The Movie, coming soon!  Official Movie Trailer will be posted here once it becomes available online.

GMA- Walang Imposible sa Pasko ng Kapuso: Puting Pasko

Watch GMA Christmas Station ID 2012-Walang Imposible sa Pasko ng Kapuso: Puting Pasko. Posible ang white Christmas dito sa Pilipinas. The 'Walang Imposible sa Pasko ng Kapuso' campaign presents 'Puting Pasko'. Featuring a four equally heartwarming vignettes, the Kapuso Station takes viewers to a special place where dreams become a reality if one will only believe in the true meaning of the Season. The first vignette titled “Handa while other vignettes include Bituin, Karoling and Puting Pasko. With this campaign, GMA wishes to bring forth the far greater joy that giving brings especially during the Holiday season.

Kathryn Bernardo and Enrique Gil Gwiyomi Video gone viral- #KathrynEnriqueGwiyomi

Kathryn Bernardo and Enrique Gil Gwiyomi version gone viral. ABS-CBN's hottest teen stars, Kathryn and Enrique do their own version of Gwiyomi by Hari to the delight of their online fans. The Gwiyomi Song, or Kwiyomi Song, is a K-pop single by South Korean singer Hari and was released on February 18, 2013. So for Kathryn and Enrique fans, let's do the trending for #KathrynEnriqueGwiyomi.